Tomato Soup with Cheddar Cheese | ChopChop
Sort of like a cross between tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich (the all-in-one best of both worlds!), this soup is perfect for warming up your lunch box.
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Large heavy-bottomed pot
Blender (adult needed)
- Put the pot on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When it is hot, carefully add the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, and if you are using dried basil, the basil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, and the broth. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove half the solids, using the slotted spoon, and put them in the blender. Do not fill more than halfway. Put the top on but remove the little cap in the center. Cover the hole loosely with a dish towel.
- Turn the blender to the lowest speed and increase the speed as the soup purees. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining solids and blend again. Gradually add the cooking liquid, fresh basil (if using), cheese, and yogurt.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
Make it crunchy: Add a few croutons or toasted nuts or seeds.
Make it tangy: Add a squeeze or slice of lemon or lime, or an extra dash of vinegar.
Make it spicy: Add a dash of hot sauce, sliced jalapeños, or chili flakes.