Homemade Instant Oatmeal | ChopChop
Skip store-bought instant oatmeal, and make your own instant oatmeal by just grinding up regular oats! It’s healthier, cheaper, and just as quick—thanks to our do-ahead method that lets you prepare a lot at once, and then make breakfast one bowl at a time.
Food Processor or Blender (Adult Needed)
Wash your hands with soap and water, then gather all your kitchen gear and ingredients and put them on a clean counter.
- Put 1 cup oats, the dates, brown sugar (if you like), cinnamon, and salt in the blender or food processor. Turn the blender to medium, and blend until the oats are powdered. Make sure the top is on tight, so you don’t spray the powder all over the kitchen!
- Add the rest of the oats and then turn the blender or food processor on and off (this is called “pulsing”) until the oats are mostly broken down. You may need to stop and shake up the blender jar if the oat powder at the bottom is stopping the blade from moving.
- Store the mixture in an airtight container or plastic bag up to 3 months.
For each bowl:
½ cup oatmeal mixture
¾ cup boiling water (adult needed)
Milk or plain low-fat yogurt (if you like)
- Put ½ cup oatmeal mixture in a heatproof bowl.
- Pour the boiling water over it, stir, and let stand for a minute. Stir again, add a few spoonfuls of milk or plain low-fat yogurt, and serve right away.
For extra goodness, add dried fruit, cut-up fresh fruit, or nuts.
Get an adult’s permission, and help with all sharp knives, appliances (blender and food processor), the stove or oven, and hot ingredients.