Green Salad and Herb Vinaigrette | ChopChop
This salad is also great with lemony dressing.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 Servings plus extra vinaigrette
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Glass jar with lid or small bowl and whisk
Tongs or salad servers
2 tablespoonschopped fresh herb leaves, such as basil, parsley, cilantro, or mint
1⁄2 cupolive oil
1⁄4 cupfresh lemon juice or red wine vinegar
1⁄2 teaspoonkosher salt
1head romaine lettuce, core removed, leaves washed and torn into bite-size pieces
1tomato, cored and chopped
1English cucumber, sliced
1apple (any kind), scrubbed, cored, and diced
1⁄4 cupshredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, or crumbled feta or goat cheese
- To make the Herb Vinaigrette: Put everything in the jar, screw the lid on tight, and shake, shake, shake.
Or: Put everything in the bowl and whisk, whisk, whisk.
- Taste the dressing on a leaf of lettuce. Does it need more oil, more lemon juice or vinegar, or a pinch of salt? If so, add it and taste again.
- To make the Green Salad: Put the romaine, tomato, cucumber, apple and cheese in the bowl.
- Add 3- 4 tablespoons Herb Vinaigrette and mix until the lettuce leaves are well coated.
- Serve right away. Cover and refrigerate extra Vinaigrette for up to two weeks.