Do-it-Yourself Croutons | ChopChop
Make the most of what you’ve got by transforming stale bread into a crunchy, delicious salad topper.
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Makes: 2 cups
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Rimmed baking sheet
2 tablespoonsolive oil
2slices whole-grain bread (stale is fine), cut into 1-inch squares
- Turn the oven on and set the heat to 375 degrees.
- Put the oil and salt in the bowl and stir them together.
- Add the bread squares and toss with tongs or your hands until the squares are completely coated with oil.
- Spread the bread out on the baking sheet, put it in the oven and bake until the croutons are just starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Carefully take the baking sheet out of the oven and use tongs to flip the croutons over, then put them back in the oven and bake until deeply browned and crisp, another 5 or so minutes.
- Let the croutons cool completely before serving. They can be stored in an airtight container up to 3 days.